AR15 in .17 Fireball it can be done

gnhuntin

I like the .17 Fireball for night time predator hunting, we call up a lot of grey fox and this round is not too destructive or loud and is still enough for a coyote or bobcat. After much searching on the internet, I found a couple of examples where it had been done sucessfully but was unable to find complete info. Here is the scoop for anyone that want's to try it for themself. I started with a .17 caliber chrome moly barrel 1 in 9 twist. I had a RRA coyote 16" carbine as my plaform and wanted to keep the gun short and light so for the length of the barrel I chose 18" and the profile is 1" for the first 4" at the chamber then .75" for the remainder. I have an ACE Skeleton stock with whatever buffer and spring is standard (I need to check spring length and buffer weight). I decided to use a midlength gas system and from reading I found a couple references to .17 Rem working with a .078 gas port ... I figured that the .17 Rem should be a higher pressure than the Fireball and I would start here. I drilled a .060 hole and kept going up one number size drill until I reached .078. The gun functions perfectly and will lock the bolt back with Factory ammunition or my reloads, it is probably a little too much gas because I can see where brass hits the shell deflector on the upper and the brass is landing behind my right shoulder ... I am going to try a Wolf Extra Power Buffer spring soon. I am using a 20 round P-Mag that I converted to 5 round with a delrin spacer in the mag, just load the mag and tap it to seat the rounds to the back ... no problems so far. I learned quite a bit about AR's and machining and even made the device I used to etch the barrel. I had a gunsmith help me with the chambering ...I had never chambered a barrel before. With a 18" barrel the average velocity with factory ammo is 3600 fps. I also rust blued the barrel. Here are some pictures.
IMG00057-20120306-1450.jpg

IMG00059-20120307-1843.jpg

RustBlue-1.jpg

IMG00117-20120517-2326.jpg

IMG00142-20120603-1150.jpg

IMG00145-20120603-1151.jpg

IMG00127-20120528-2006.jpg

Looks good man, way to do it yourself. I love the built not bought style. Lets see some side pofile pics of you bang stick. What did you do, start with a .17 cal barrel blank and just work off there? Ive read a few where guys use a remington barrel and machine it to the reciever. Anyhow nice build.

Thanks for posting the process and measurements too. I know it's been done. I've got many saved and printed pages about Tony Rumore projects and various wildcats build off the rare Oly .30 carbine platform in .17's in one form or another. .17 FB was always the goal. Might just have to try it now.

Man, that looks great! I've been thinking about having a rifle that shoots the .17 ammunition. I'm completely unfamiliar with the cartridge differences, though. What is the difference between the .17 HMR, .17 Fireball, and .17 Remington?

The HMR is a rimfire that is a .22 mag necked down both the .17 fireball and the .17 remington are centerfires that are reloadable. The .17 Remington is the fastest then the fireball, and about 1000 to 1300 FPS slower is the HMR.

Originally Posted By: CenturionMan, that looks great! I've been thinking about having a rifle that shoots the .17 ammunition. I'm completely unfamiliar with the cartridge differences, though. What is the difference between the .17 HMR, .17 Fireball, and .17 Remington?

Hmr is rimfire about 2500 fps and the fireball and 17 remington are center fire and the .17 rem is probably 3/8 longer, about the length of a .223 and maybe 400 fps faster than the fireball.

Thanks for the info. I'm interested in doing the same, but I really have no knowledge of gunsmithing. I might see about having a friend help me with it.

Found a load for it, Benchmark and Berger Match 25 grain bullets at 3300 fps. Bottom right the last powder charge I tried, I increased the charge by .2 gr powder each time left to right top to bottom ... wonder if I keep going up. Naw, think I'm good.
IMG00159-20120608-1331.jpg

Originally Posted By: gnhuntinIt was a 21" x 1.062 barrel blank from Green Mountain.

Was this the recent run they were practically giving away?

That is an awesome build and nice results. Great work all the way around!

Originally Posted By: scramjet_86What setup did you use to etch the barrel? Nice looking rifle.

I read on some knife forums about etching, I made my own from a radio shack 12v power supply that was laying around, the only thing I bought was stencil material and developer.

Back